Friday, August 6, 2010

Temple life


Thursday afternoon, I decided to partake in a "Temple Life" program at Bongeunsa, a Buddhist temple in Seoul. Although completely touristy, I actually had a wonderful time. The program was two hours and included a tea ceremony, Zen meditation practice and paper lotus making. The tour group was an interesting mix of people, including a Methodist church group from Alabama visiting for research, English teachers, a few vacationers like myself, and the son of the Egyptian Ambassador to Korea. The meditation reminded me of all the breathing exercises in Yoga, so I much enjoyed trying to get lost in my breath keeping all thoughts out of my head (which is so hard!!).



Left: Inside Bongeunsa

Right: The paper lotus I made! :)












Post soul-searching, I was brave enough to order some cold buckwheat noodle soup in the largest underground mall in Asia, Coex, right across the street from the temple (talk about traditional meets modern!).

Above: Cold Buckwheat noodle soup, yum! The objects that look like jelly are actually ice cubes. It is really quite refreshing on a sticky humid day.

No comments:

Post a Comment