Sunday, August 1, 2010

Arrival in Seoul


Ah, I have arrived in Seoul. The cicada are humming loudly this fine Monday morning. This past weekend was a bit of a blur, but fabulous nonetheless. Post arrival, we made our way to the clubbing district of Hongdae for Jieun's 23rd birthday. What a wonderful way to jump right in? The scene was a mix of Koreans, foreign teachers, U.S. marines, bright lights, trendy outfits, loud music, booty shaking, and spicy rice cakes. After eight hours of dancing and fun, the sun rose and I was a complete zombie. Was it worth staying up 30 hours in a travel induced daze? Absolutely! I am absolutely ecstatic to be here with Jieun, especially for her birthday :)

I must say, Sunday I slept till about dinner time. I was awoken by the sweet aroma of Korean BBQ. Mrs. Paik is a spectacular cook. Red pepper paste is used as a sauce to make lettuce wraps with the bbq-ed meat. Mmmm... The duck eggs (the black eggs in the picture below) were a delicious addition as was the fresh salad with sesame sauce.


Delicious dinner finished, Jieun, Sunny, Kicheon (Jieun's siblings) and I spent a relaxing evening biking along the Han river.


1 comment: